Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Week #79 (December 12, 2016)



Quote of the week (this one is not exact):

1) Maintenance man in some complex we were working in - "You better
grow eyes in the back of your head if you're out here at night... The
Baptists got the land, The Catholics got the money, and The Mormons
got the FOOD!"

What a week! Transfer news: the email the assistants sent out says I am
staying and Elder Martin is leaving, but we are still awaiting calls
to find out the final final word on it all. Either way, just glad to
be serving the King of Kings during this Christmas season.

I have been thinking a lot lately about what it means to be truly
happy in this life. We meet so many people from so many walks of life
on the street, especially exchanging into new areas on the fly, and I will
tell you, there is no worldly recipe for happiness.

I have met the happiest and the saddest, the poorest and the richest,
the healthiest and the sickest, and let me tell you - it is almost
like none of the factors correlate. We are talking about a Class A,
Scooby-Doo, Nancy Drew, tie-yo-shoes mystery here.

Sure, "generally-speaking" we can say that the poorer, sicker, etc. etc.
people are, the sadder they are, but man o man, you got some real
outliers in this whole equation. It literally doesn't add up.

The Savior is the prime example of a wonderful outlier in the
happiness equation. Isaiah 53:2-5 says:

"2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root
out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall
see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted
with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised,
and we esteemed him not.

4 ¶Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we
did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our
iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his
stripes we are healed."

He had it worse than anyone EVER, and yet when you make Him your
friend, you get healed.

My conclusion of late about the source of true happiness: following Jesus Christ

I love you all, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year,

Family: I will let you know as soon as I get transfer calls if they call soon.

-Elder Cox

Exchange (I was on the phone), left to right: Myself, Elder Owens from Arizona, Elder Martin from Utah (my comp), and Elder 

Hermano Perdomo wearing my hat - his family
 signed up to feed us on Christmas
 Eve like 20 days in advance.
  They have my corazón.

No comments:

Post a Comment