Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Week #37 (February 17, 2016)

Most memorable quotes and scenes of the week:

1) Went on a split with the zone leaders where we spent the whole
morning tracting, and in the middle of the morning, this larger
Mexican woman enters this complex and just starts shouting out
repeatedly:
"TaaAAAHHHMAAALES!"
In the highest, shriekiest voice ever heard. It was so hilarious to us,
but I guess you had to be there.

2) My companion is ridiculously musically talented; it's insane. He
will play and rearrange a piece of music simultaneously the first time
he sees it on a paper in front of him, and his ultimate dream is to be
a high school choir conductor. Apart from the awesomeness that I get
to enjoy when he plays the piano, what makes me laugh is his full on
orchestra conducting while we drive place to place listening to his
iPod. It is full-on, LA philharmonic, shaking, dramatic, awesomeness.

3) Some random contact I had made a few weeks ago just happened to be
walking around in a complex we were in one day. It was a rough part of
town (nicknamed "the grove") and frankly, Mike is a rougher dude
(Spider webs tatted all-over his face + dreads).

I say: "Mike, what's up man! Haven't seen you in forever! Did you ever
check out that card?"

Mike says: "Nah man, didn't get the chance."

I say: "Dang, that's too bad.  Been busy?"

Mike says: "I got shot man." *shows me the bullet wound in his back*

No news yet on if I'm getting transferred, we find out today.

I've never had a companion for more than 1 transfer, so let's see if
Elder Crockett breaks the record here.

This week was full of powerful experiences, but I will share one as a
sort of spiritual thought/story half-breed.  Here you go:

In pursuit of some recent mission goals, we have been doing our very
best to teach "Lessons with the RIGHT member present" - a.k.a. We
bring the cool, active friend that is supposed to help a less-active
or investigator into the church to the lesson, and as a part of this
initiative, we are not allowed to teach any less-actives without
correct members present.

On the exchange with the zone leaders, our correct member informed us
that they would not be able to attend a less-active lesson that night.
So, regretfully we had to cancel the appointment with the less-active.

When we headed out to just do a bunch of knocking after that, we came
across a complete miracle. A random lady pulled her truck up right
behind our parked car, parked herself, then got out and said
"Elders!"

She proceeded to take us in to visit with her less-active sister, who
she just happened to be visiting that night after a long journey from
the other side of texas.

How miraculous right? One correct member cancels in the English zone
leader's ward, and that same night, the only night they happen to have
a Spanish missionary in the area, a Spanish RIGHT member shows up and
brings us to a RIGHT member present lesson.

The Lord will accomplish His goals, we just have to be on for the ride.

Now, the crazy-story part.

In the middle of the miracle/Spanish less-active/correct member
present lesson - we hear a massive crunch of metal outside.

We go out, and a truck driven by two drunk Mexicans has jumped the
curb and gotten totally demolished in the street - no one is injured,
but there is a lot of blood (even quite a bit on the zone leader's
car).

The whole entire ring of complexes came out to see what was happening,
it was a mad house. Police and fire came, it was wild.

-Much love,

Elder Cox

The following 4 are "awkward pictures I took when I thought I might be getting transferred."


Brother Jimenez - ward mission leader of Skyline Ward



Hermano Avalos from Barrio Rio Trinidad


Obispo Banuelos from Barrio Rio Trinidad 

No comments:

Post a Comment