Quotes/Scenes of the week:
1) One member gave a talk on Father's day and told a great story about his dad (who was his bishop). His father was napping on the couch when the stake president pulls up in his driveway. He shakes his dad awake and tells him who is at the door, and his dad bolts awake and says:
"HIDE THE MOUNTAIN DEW!"
2) We did a service project for Brother Cox this week (who has a daughter named Samantha, that goes by Sam - twilight zone status) tearing brick off of one side of his house. I caught the bricks one of the hired workers chisled off, then threw them 20 feet to my companion across the driveway who caught them and stacked em. It was a sight to see.
At lunchtime, we exchanged stories of crazy events from our missions. Brother Cox's brother served in Ecuador and told us a crazy story, which I'll make #3.
3) One day they rented a bus and drove like 100 people to the church and showed them a video. Then, the branch president got up at the end and said: "ALRIGHT! WHO WANTS TO BE BAPTIZED?!?!?!" The missionaries were horrified, as you can imagine, since they hadn't taught any of these people before and really felt like it was a crazy move. Some guy stood up, and at the branch president's command, they interviewed him right then, and all his brother said from the experience was: "Thankfully, he failed the interview. We hadn't even taught the guy once."
The week was a good one. We had a day of miracles that was over-the-top awesome, but every other day felt pretty ho-hum. Tryin' every day to work hard and be obedient. I don't think I am breaking any records at the pace I'm going, but I am doing my best.
After attending the baptism of one companionship in our zone, I had the huge honor to go back to G6 (the Garland 6th Spanish branch, my first area in the mission) with my trainee, Elder Brimhall, to witness the baptism of one of the investigators we taught together - Patty Martinez-Garcia.
It was the best reunion ever with all my favorite members (who I mentioned in the year-mark email), and I was overjoyed to be there.
I got to give the talk on baptism, and I felt inspired to go sort of free-hand on it. Once I got up to the podium I said about 4 things I hadn't even thought about while preparing, and I truly felt like I spoke what the Lord wanted me to say.
One of the things I said was: "This is a very special branch, I am so glad I get to leave you in the hands of my best friends." It was cool. The other missionaries who spoke and the branch president expressed similar sentiments.
I also felt inspired to talk about facing opposition because her family wasn't there - and that was the first thing she mentioned when she got up.
Spiritual thought:
In Patty's talk on baptism she said something that touched me. Here is my rough translation from memory...
"I will never forget one day when Elder Cox knocked on my door, it was so cold outside and pouring rain. Oh yah, and his bike tire had popped! And he was smiling all big, and I just asked 'WHY ARE YOU SO HAPPY?!?!' And he said 'Read the scriptures and come to church and you will find out!'
"So I am here today because I know that if I keep reading the scriptures and going to church I will keep getting happier and happier..."
I had totally forgotten about that day and the rain and my bike-tire, but she hadn't, and she quoted me word-for-word on what I said.
It taught me an important lesson - No effort to save another will ever be "wasted".
Just imagine the great judgement day when our less-active and nonmember friends look up at the Savior smiling, and quote our words to Him. I pray that we will all be proud on that day and look back with no regrets.
Love you all to Kolob and Back!
-Elder Cox
(Bunch of pics from G6 reunion/baptism)
Fuentes Family
(Patty Martinez-Garcia and all the missionaries she went through until baptism, minus a few who are already home)
(Miguel Flores - LA Elder Brimhall and I found and reactivated)
(Me and Branch Presidente Duran)
(Me and Ana Perla - the investigator Elder Riggs, Baldwin, and I found by a miracle, who was baptized just a couple months ago! I shoulda gone then but I was so glad to see her again)
Secret Service Guy who gave the lesson in priesthood
No comments:
Post a Comment