Thursday, March 17, 2016

Week #41 (March 14, 2016)

Quotes/Scenes of the week:


1) Lady walks up to the car window and starts talking to us (in Spanish) saying:
"I'm just a poor little lady, I need food. Will you by me food?"
I reach back and grab a loaf of bread my companion left in the car and
offer it to her, to which she says:

"I don't want BREAD!! I have bread in my HOUSE!"

2) We went to a super rough part of Dallas to teach someone we met
contacting in a laundrymat, and on the way we meet this guy named
Peter, but he goes by "OG."
When I asked him why he stopped going to church and living right he said:

"Clubs."

3) Lots of hand-holding "THANK YOU!" prayers this week with our African
American friends we meet in the street, but that is pretty normal

This week was like a model of life I suppose, I literally experienced
the very best and very worst lesson of my entire mission this week.

The worst one: My companion and I contacted a massive family of about
20 people from Mexico while they were having a baptism and they seemed
to be so ready to hear the Restoration.
All 20 got back together again 2 days later to have a lesson with us,
we were stoked.
At the lesson, one of the uncles spirals into an angry discussion about
baptism with us, our member goes on a 15-minute tangent about
depression and homicidal thoughts, and ultimately we are out of
contact with all 20.
(Not even mad at the member though, he totally meant well.)

The best one: A less-active in another area had referred us to someone
he is helping buy a home.  We show up and meet Christy Taylor.
She is from Las Vegas (coincidence - I think not) and says that after
long consideration, she has decided to study Mormonism, and we set a
baptismal date with her.
The lesson went so well, that the member who taught it with us asks on
the car ride home, "So, I don't have a lot of experience, but is
everyone THAT ready?"

And, this Sunday, Christy Taylor came to church. So we are pretty much
on Cloud 9 with this lady right now.

I got the chance this week to do a great baptismal interview for an
older black lady named Carolyn Jackson, who just announced to her
baptist church that she is leaving them - that was inspiring.

And a previous investigator I taught and lost contact with around 3 months ago
got baptised yesterday too. Also inspiring. Here is a picture.


Saul and his nonmember girlfriend (who I taught this transfer, but was baptized later)

No comments:

Post a Comment