Amigos
Those of you, friends and family, sending me hard mail are the best
ever, that stuff is just the coolest.
Quotes of the week:
From 2 or 3 contacts in a row one day:
"The 70's were just so much better, I miss the 70's."
Amateur fighter walking home from Walmart tells life story, highlights:
"I fought on ESPN...USA network..."
"...when I got home they took me to the club, next thing you know, the
DEA is there!!"
"...I mean, I have been through 3 marriages... All to "dancers"....
Can you BELIEVE THAT?!"
Another "amateur fighter", middle aged white dude:
Fighter: "I actually am a Buddhist, so no thanks."
Me: "Oh wow you're a Buddhist? That's crazy, so you don't eat pork or anything?"
Fighter: "Hey man, that's like the Zen Buddhists, I'm more of a Laoist
Buddhist. But I do believe my body is a temple. I try to eat vegan
like all the time, but I love bacon."
Staggering dedication there from the Laoist Buddhist.
People crack me up.
Know this though, I hear more inspiring, faith promoting things every
day than idiotic side comments. Like the man with muscular dystrophy
we met on the sidewalk who says:
"Yah I just thought I'd leave my wife in the house for a while to
rest, she's got cancer and my wheelchair wakes her up sometimes when
I'm moving around the house."
It's really amazing how often you get a touching moment like that. But
I don't think I oughta just fling those around.
The big news is that I'm training. Looks like poor Elder Stowe (my
trainee) will be backup training me. I honestly feel entirely
inadequate to do this. It would not be an exaggeration to say that I
have spent more time on my knees this week than the last 3 months
before my mission, lots of prayers.
All I'll tell you guys is that God really does hear and answer us. He
knows you personally, He knows your trials and challenges, and gives
us those to humble us and teach us lessons we will need.
I've only realized recently just how proud of a person I was before my
mission. I'm truly sorry to all those whom I'm sure I rubbed wrong.
It's taken me a few months on a bike looking like a weirdo, trying to
speak a different language, and now attempting to teach a new
missionary the same, to finally realize just how small and inadequate
I am.
The most peaceful moment this week was when I stepped into the church
this Sunday. Nothing feels better. I hope you all had the same
opportunity; nothing replaces being physically in the church and
taking the sacrament.
Don't wait til you have a really huge weight to bring things to God in
prayer. Strengthen your relationship with Him this week through
prayer, and go to church at the end.
-mucho amor-
-Elder Cox
our apartment building
Elder Stowe, my second companion


No comments:
Post a Comment