Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Week #22 (November 9, 2015)

Garland is amazing right now, we've recently found some amazing
families. And it's cold.

Quotes/scenes of the week:
#1) Riding down the sidewalk, Elder Riggs behind me (on an exchange), I hear:
"RSHHHCUHSCRUSH," turn around, Elder Riggs is on his back.  He was zoned out
and hit a cable, and just cracking up with his bike on top of him....
He went to the hospital that night.


#2) Street contact:
Us: We share about how God has provided his gospel so we can improve
to become more like Him. Would you like to hear about it?
Him: "I think that's sacrilegious because you're saying you're
becoming like God."
Us: Remember when God said 'Be ye perfect even as I or your Father who
art in Heaven is perfect?
Him: "I just think God wants us to be individuals."


#3) African Street contact,
"I grew up in a Muslim family, but I just believe in 'One Love'. It's
like where everybody really is just worshiping one God. Because you
see if I focus on just one religion, that would require me to say that
some other people are wrong."


Quite the week. Nothing overly notable, just found a lot of amazing
people, so here's a spiritual thought:

Quote #2 who just sounds ridiculous and #3 who says "...that would
require me to say that some other people are wrong..." may sound like
a breed who we rarely encounter. He's actually more common than any of
us want to think.

If I'm being honest, every Spanish contact or lesson begins with:
"You know we're ________, but basically are all worshipping the same
exact a God, so religion isn't even real is it? There is actually just
one religion, worshipping God!"

While they don't mention "One Love", it's the same idea. The idea that
we don't have to draw definitive lines in the sand. The idea that an
offensive truth is unworthy of acceptance.

Let's all step up, out on big kid pants, and think a little more than that.
Start by answering the 4 primary questions we learned I the area
conference Sunday:

1) Is there a God? Is He my Father?
2) Is Jesus Christ His son?
3) Was Joseph Smith a prophet of God?
4) Is the Church God's kingdom on Earth?

The answers to those questions are definitive, but they are definitely
not popular.

I know that God is our Father. His Son Jesus Christ lives and I know
Him. Joseph Smith was Their prophet who guided the Restoration of
Their kingdom to the Earth.

And with those answers, it appears we must get to work.

Love ya all, keep it up!

-Elder Cox
Eating at Branch President's House (his young daughters featured here, as well as Elder Richins - Elder Riggs' new companion from Idaho)

Got the Coat!

No comments:

Post a Comment